We’re often asked for a list of interview questions for interim product management positions. Given that it’s a candidate driven market, where candidates are being taken off the market within days, it’s important to ensure your interview process is quick and efficient. By using a good set of interim product interview questions, you’ll be able to quickly determine whether the candidate has what you need to do the job well.
What is the best interview format for interim product roles?
Interviews for interim product roles are usually 2 short stages. For an employer, the risk of hiring a product contractor is not the same as a permanent role – a contract can easily be terminated the candidate turns out not to be the right fit or possess the right skills. Therefore, a short but effective interview process is recommended.
The first stage is often a 30 – 60-minute high level interview to assess culture fit, previous product domain experience and personal attributes including communication style.
The second stage is often a 30 – 60-minute technical or competency-based interview. This stage may involve a presentation of a pre-set task or more likely a live demonstration and consultative discussion of an in-life product.
Today, the best interim product candidates are often in several interview processes at the same time. So, it’s important that an employer sets the right interview format, allowing the hiring process to move at speed. The rise of video interviewing in recent years has helped keep hiring processes quick.
Interview questions for interim product roles
Here is our guide to the best interview questions for contract product interviews. This isn’t a comprehensive list, and you should add specific competency or domain specific interview questions in order to assess the candidate’s likelihood of quickly achieving what you need from this interim product role.
Product interim general interview questions
- Tell me about your career and how you got started in interim work?
- Please walkthrough your interim portfolio in 5 minutes.
- What is your day rate?
- What are your expectations for the working environment – remote v hybrid working?
- Would you be open to a contract extension?
- Would you be open to considering this as a permanent position if required?
- Why do you want to work for our brand?
- What are your key strengths?
Task performance interview questions
- Tell me about a specific achievement within an interim role that you are proud of and why?
- What is your most impactful initiative as a product contractor? What impact did it make?
- How do you measure effectiveness of your work? What KPI’s and data points do you look for?
- When starting a new product contract role, how do you climatise quickly to get up and running?
- What pieces of information would you need to gather in your first week to hit the ground running?
- What does a good induction to the team, project, objective look like to you?
Domain specific interview questions
- Our biggest challenge is (insert biggest challenge here). How would you approach this? What steps would you take?
- Can you give examples of your work and performance in (insert key domain area of contract role, i.e., product discovery, user testing, product development)
- How do you measure a products success?
- How would you track and communicate your progress towards key deliverables?
- Give an example of a time where you didn’t meet your objective as a contractor. What could you have done differently? What additional support did you need?
Stakeholder management / leadership interview questions
- How do you manage agencies and external stakeholders?
- How would you manage an agency that wasn’t meeting its objectives?
- How do you influence stakeholders within short interim placements? What steps do you take to influence those around you?
- How do you tend to prioritise your work?
Personal relationships interview questions
- What is your communication style?
- How do you communicate well with your team and peers?
- How do you make personal connections with your team quickly to achieve goals?
- As a product contractor, how do you approach disagreements within the permanent marketing team?
- How do you engage with team members when working remotely full time?
Interim product interview questions summary
Intelligent People are a specialist product contractor recruitment agency.
Whether you need to cover a short-term skills gap, to get a fresh perspective, to solve a specific problem, or need a contractor to help upskill your current team, we are here to help. Contact us today to get started with your product interim search.