We’re often asked for a list of interview questions for interim marketing positions, as well as insight around competitive day rates. Given that marketing as a discipline is so broad across brand, digital, CRM, social media, paid advertising, content (and many more), you’ll need to tightly define objectives and what skills, experience, and knowledge you need from interim position before you start the recruitment process.
What is the best interview format for interim marketing roles?
Interims can move very quickly, so it’s important to get away from a permanent hiring mindset. If you like what you see in an interview, try to make a quick decision. Remember that interims should be experienced professionals, and if for any reason they’re not performing, it’s easier to terminate the engagement quickly.
Interviews for interim marketing positions are usually 1 or 2 stages. If the interview is 2 stages, the first is often a 30 – 60-minute high level interview to assess culture fit, domain experience and personal attributes including communication style. The employer may ask for a walkthrough of the candidate’s portfolio here too.
The second stage is often a 30 – 60 minute scenario-based or competency-based interview. This stage is likely to involve questions like ‘Our biggest challenge is increasing our customer engagement metrics on LinkedIn. Talk me through how you would approach this’.
It’s currently a candidate driven market, with the best candidates often in several interview processes at the same time – the market is moving extremely quickly and even more so for interim marketing positions. So, it’s important that an employer sets the right interview format, allowing the hiring process to move at speed to get the best candidate for the role. On that basis, all contract marketing roles that we have organised interviews for in the last year have been conducted via video call – these are much easier to schedule for both parties.
Interview questions for interim marketing roles
Here is our guide to the best interview questions for interim marketing interviews. This isn’t a comprehensive list, and you should add specific competency or domain specific interview questions in order to assess the candidate’s likelihood of quickly achieving what you need from this interim role.
General interim marketing interview questions
- Tell me about your career and how you got started in interim work?
- Please walkthrough your interim portfolio in 5 minutes.
- Why did you previous engagement end?
- What are your expectations for the working environment – remote v hybrid working?
- Would you be open to considering this as a permanent position if required?
- Why do you want to work for our brand?
- What are your key strengths?
- Do you have any holidays/time off scheduled that we should know about?
Task performance related interview questions
- Tell me about a specific achievement within an interim role that you are proud of and why?
- What is your most impactful initiative as a marketing contractor? What impact did it make?
- How do you measure effectiveness of your work? What KPI’s and data points do you look for?
- When starting a new marketing contract role, how do you climatise quickly to get up and running?
- What pieces of information would you need to gather in your first week to hit the ground running?
- What does a good induction to the team, project, objective look like to you?
Domain specific interview questions
- Our biggest challenge is (insert biggest challenge here). How would you approach this? What steps would you take?
- Can you give examples of your work and performance in (insert key domain area of contract role, i.e., brand development, performance marketing, SEO, website launch etc)
- How do you measure success in (insert specific domain)?
- How would you track and communicate your progress towards key deliverables?
- Give an example of a time where you didn’t meet your objective as a contractor. What could you have done differently? What additional support did you need?
Stakeholder / leadership interview questions
- How do you manage agencies and external stakeholders?
- How would you manage an agency that wasn’t meeting its objectives?
- How do you influence stakeholders within short interim placements? What steps do you take to influence those around you?
- How do you tend to prioritise your work?
Personal relationships interview questions
- What is your communication style?
- How do you communicate well with your team and peers?
- How do you make personal connections with your team quickly to achieve goals?
- As a marketing contractor, how do you approach disagreements within the permanent marketing team?
- How do you engage with team members when working remotely full time?
We’re here to help.
Intelligent People are a specialist interim marketing recruitment agency within. Since 2002, we’ve helped a broad range of companies, from global blue chips to the most exciting scale-ups, to hire interim marketing experts that have the specific domain experience that is required within our clients’ teams.
We work closely with our clients to define the interim needs of the business and can supply a shortlist of candidates within 24 hours of the brief. Want to find out more? Contact us today and we can help with your next marketing contractor search.