As we approach 2024, the marketing industry continues to undergo rapid transformations. Whether you are a seasoned Senior Marketing Manager, Head of Marketing, Marketing Director, or aspiring Chief Marketing Officer, your marketing job search needs a comprehensive and strategic approach which we will take you through in this guide.
The marketing job landscape
The marketing job landscape is in a state of constant flux, and 2024 is no exception. According to the Marketing Hiring Trends Report by Creative Circle, the demand for senior marketing professionals remains strong, with a heightened focus on expertise in emerging areas such as digital marketing, data analytics, and content creation.
A competitive marketing job search
In 2023, LinkedIn reported that marketing-related job postings received 20% more applications than the average job posting. This competitive landscape underscores the importance of a meticulously planned marketing job search strategy. Let’s delve into strategies that will give you a definitive competitive edge in this environment.
Your marketing job search strategy
Analysing your current skills and experience
Before initiating your marketing job search, embark on a comprehensive self-assessment of your skills and experiences. The marketing field has undergone significant transformations, with 65% of marketers highlighting the critical importance of strong data analysis skills, according to a survey by HubSpot.
Identifying your marketing career goals
To navigate the your marketing job search, establish precise career objectives for 2024. Define whether you aim to ascend to a Chief Marketing Officer role, lead a marketing team, or specialise in burgeoning areas like influencer marketing.
Review our goal setting template
Setting clear objectives for your marketing job search
Your marketing job search should be guided by well-defined, measurable goals. Commit to applying to a specific number of positions weekly, attending industry events consistently, or securing a predetermined number of interviews each month.
Also consider your salary expectations for your next marketing job by benchmarking based on your experience, location, and industry. Access online resources to make informed compensation decisions.
Building a strong personal brand
In today’s digital age, cultivating a compelling personal brand is instrumental in attracting potential employers and securing your next marketing job.
Crafting a compelling personal brand statement
Craft a concise and impactful personal brand statement that encapsulates your unique value proposition. Showcase your expertise and past achievements. Find inspiration by exploring personal brand statements of successful marketing leaders on LinkedIn.
Examples of good personal brand statements:
- “Experienced marketing leader with a passion for data-driven strategies that fuel brand growth and customer engagement. Known for transforming marketing teams into revenue-generating powerhouses.”
- “Innovative marketing strategist specialising in harnessing emerging technologies to drive brand awareness and customer loyalty. Proven track record of catapulting brands to the forefront of their industries.”
- “Results-oriented marketing executive with a knack for translating market trends into actionable strategies. Adept at building high-performing teams that deliver measurable ROI.”
Update your CV
There are three main things to consider when putting your CV together in your marketing job search:
- Will it give a positive first impression of you?
- Does it have immediate impact?
- Will it be easy to read by a time-poor consultant or client?
How to structure an effective CV
- Your CV should ideally be no more than 3 pages long
- Your CV must have a simple and logical flow of information
- Use short, punchy headings and bullet-pointed information so relevant information can be found immediately
- Think SEO and include keywords to get your CV found. Recruiters tend to search by keywords (technical skills, job titles etc.) to save time
- Write your CV in one consistent tense, preferably first person e.g. “I completed a number of tasks, such as…”. It’s more ‘active’, personable and dynamic
- Use an easy to read and internet-friendly font such as Arial or Times New Roman
- Create a ‘master CV’ with all your skills and experience – it can be tailored for specific applications
Read our full blog about CV advice.
Updating Your LinkedIn profile for maximum visibility
LinkedIn remains an invaluable platform for marketing professionals, with 94% of B2B marketers utilising it for content marketing. Keep your profile updated with relevant keywords like ‘senior marketing manager,’ ‘marketing strategy,’ and ‘digital marketing.’ Join industry-specific groups and engage actively in discussions to heighten your visibility and marketing job search success.
To maximise your LinkedIn visibility:
- Join industry-specific groups: Be part of groups such to connect with peers, participate in discussions, and gain exposure. Here are direct links to these groups:
- Post regularly: Aim to post insightful content 2-3 times a week. Share your thoughts on industry trends, provide commentary on recent marketing campaigns, and offer valuable tips to your connections. Consistency is key to staying on your network’s radar.
- Engage with connections: Like, comment on, and share posts from your network, especially those from industry influencers. Meaningful engagement enhances your visibility within your network and beyond.
- Use LinkedIn’s marketing job search tools: Leverage LinkedIn’s job search features to discover relevant positions. Set up marketing job alerts to receive notifications for senior marketing job postings tailored to your preferences.
Read our guide to ‘Optimising your LinkedIn profile for jobseekers’.
Building an online portfolio
Elevate your networking efforts by creating an online portfolio that showcases your case studies, campaign results, and projects. This serves as a powerful tool during networking and interviews.
Read this guide to ‘15 best marketing portfolio examples‘
Navigating LinkedIn effectively
Master the intricacies of LinkedIn to expand your professional network and discover new opportunities for your marketing job search.
Connect with industry influencers
Identify and connect with influential figures in the marketing field. These connections can offer valuable insights, open doors to opportunities, and enhance your visibility. Here are 7 industry influencers to consider connecting with:
- Seth Godin: Renowned marketing author and speaker.
- Ann Handley: Chief Content Officer at MarketingProfs.
- Rand Fishkin: Founder of SparkToro and former CEO of Moz.
- Neil Patel: Digital marketing expert and entrepreneur.
- Pamela Vaughan: Principal Growth Marketer at Lev.
- Jay Baer: Founder of Convince & Convert.
- Ryan Bonnici: CMO at Whereby.
Leveraging LinkedIn’s job search tools
LinkedIn provides powerful job search functionalities to streamline your search for senior marketing roles:
1. Job alerts
Set up job alerts with specific criteria such as job title, location, and company size. LinkedIn will notify you when relevant positions are posted, ensuring you never miss out on opportunities.
2. Advanced search
Utilise LinkedIn’s advanced search filters to narrow down job postings based on your preferences. You can filter by industry, location, experience level, and more.
3. Company research
Research companies you’re interested in. Follow their LinkedIn pages to receive updates on job openings, company news, and culture.
4. Network outreach
Leverage your connections to seek referrals or introductions within target companies. Personalised messages expressing your interest and qualifications can significantly improve your chances.
Emerging marketing trends
Staying at the forefront of the industry requires continuous learning and staying informed about the latest marketing trends. Here’s how you can do it:
- Read industry publications: Regularly peruse marketing-focused publications like AdAge, Marketing Week, and HubSpot Blog. These platforms provide in-depth insights into emerging trends.
- Participate in webinars and podcasts: Engage in webinars and podcasts hosted by marketing experts and thought leaders. These platforms offer a wealth of information and opportunities to network with industry peers.
- Marketing Over Coffee
- Online Marketing Made Easy
- Marketing Smarts by MarketingProfs
- The Growth Marketing Toolbox
- Call to Action Podcast by Unbounce
Participating in these webinars and tuning into these podcasts will not only keep you informed about the latest marketing trends but also connect you with influential figures in the marketing industry. These resources will prove valuable in your quest to secure a new marketing role in 2024.
Read our guide about how to prepare for an interview.
Securing a senior marketing role often involves a rigorous interview process. Here are five crucial points to focus on, along with detailed descriptions of each:
1. Behavioural interview techniques
Why it’s important: Behavioural questions assess how you’ve handled situations in the past, offering insights into your approach to challenges and your ability to adapt.
How to go about it: Prepare specific examples of past accomplishments and challenges using the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method. Structure your responses to showcase your skills and achievements.
Outcome: Effective use of behavioural interview techniques demonstrates your ability to tackle complex issues and adds credibility to your candidacy.
2. Presentation skills
Why it’s important: Senior marketing roles often involve presenting strategies and results to leadership teams and stakeholders. Effective presentation skills are crucial for conveying your ideas persuasively.
How to go about it: Invest time in refining your presentation skills. Practice storytelling techniques and data visualisation to communicate your strategies and results clearly and compellingly.
Outcome: Strong presentation skills enhance your ability to influence decision-makers and secure your desired role.
Read our guide to marketing presentation skills.
3. Research and preparation
Why it’s important: In-depth research about the company and industry is vital for demonstrating your genuine interest and understanding during interviews.
How to go about it: Thoroughly research the company’s history, culture, recent news, and competitors. Familiarise yourself with industry trends and challenges.
Outcome: Well-prepared candidates stand out and show their commitment to the role.
4. Questions for the interviewer
Why it’s important: Asking insightful questions during interviews showcases your interest in the position and your ability to think critically.
How to go about it: Prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer about the role, team dynamics, company culture, and expectations. Tailor your questions to the specific position and business.
Outcome: Thoughtful questions demonstrate your engagement and can help you make an informed decision about the role.
Read our guide to the 4 best questions to ask your prospective employer at interview.
5. Follow-up etiquette
Why it’s important: A well-crafted follow-up message after an interview reinforces your interest and professionalism.
How to go about it: Send a personalised thank-you email within 24 hours of the interview. Express your appreciation for the opportunity and reiterate your enthusiasm for the role.
Outcome: A courteous follow-up leaves a positive impression and keeps you top of mind during the hiring process.
With these five interview excellence points in mind, you’ll be well-prepared to navigate the interview process with confidence and increase your chances of securing your desired senior marketing role.
This comprehensive guide equips you with actionable strategies and insights to excel in your marketing job search in 2024 and beyond. Always remember that the marketing industry is characterised by its dynamism, demanding continuous learning and adaptability. Stay informed about the latest trends, continuously enhance your skills, and maintain a growth-oriented mindset to ensure enduring success in your marketing job search.
If you need help with your next job search, upload your CV with us today.