Hiring in product? Looking for your next product job? Our co-founder Doug Bates, talks to Salvatore Bocchetti from the Reasonable Product podcast about the state of the current product management market.
The key takeaways from the podcast are:
– The 2023 market: the market is going through an adjustment rather than a turndown. The top candidates are still receiving as many offers or more than before.
– Good product people demand good product people: virtually no product person accepts an offer in the current market, if they are not reporting to a sound product organisation and leader
– Hiring for success: Should you look at the candidates previous employers as a good indicator of their qualities and skills? Should you hire from unicorns or only well-known companies?
– CPO is a “must” in any product-led company. 30% of the FTSE companies have a CPO currently and there is a reason for that. Product is here to stay.
– Doug receives 100 CVs per day. How do you make yourself visible to recruiters? Doug shares concrete examples about how to “sell” yourself and be visible in the market.
– How to get promoted: the best opportunities are internal ones, so candidates should take this into consideration when looking for their next role, to maximise your chance of climbing the ladder.
– Salary negotiations: Know your value, and be bold.
– Remote vs Hybrid vs Local: The majority of companies (and candidates) seem to be settling for hybrid right now. What does remote mean when it comes to salaries?
Listen to the full episode “A recruiter’s view on the job market for product management: layoffs, salary negotiations and hiring tips.”
Available on your favourite platform
And many more: Reasonable Product – The Podcast (By Salva Bocchetti)